13.4.08

List in Paragraph Form: Why I am and will Always be a Texas Girl

overgrown-dense-patches-of-wildflowers-in April, bluebonnets, cacti, Willie Nelson, rust, the large antique-ing subculture, chickens/roosters/horses/hawks, swimming in rivers (hell yeah!), it's not LA or SF or NYC (thank the Lord for that), I grew up in the city--but I'm still a country girl, trucks, things gritty, dirty South rap, the heat (I can't tell you how much I adore heat--it's so sexy!), nobody bothers me (I can do my thang), people sitting on porches just watching the day go by, the "Texas car wave" (if you're not from here, you won't get it), climbing Enchanted Rock, just driving in the country, the best BBQ (sorry Memphis, Kansas City, Mississippi), the Texas coast (even if it is polluted, I spent every single summer there and couldn't imagine my life without it), the fact that people from outside Texas "don't get Texas, or Texas pride," why would I ever want to live anywhere else?, it's affordable, people are really nice--like so nice when I go other places I realize that some people are very mean, good people, far East Austin country like lifestyle, West Texas space, East Texas pines, the Hill Country, border towns, the fact that Texas is a brown majority/white minority state, things haunted, highway flea markets, warm Thanksgivings, drinking on patios, Day of the Dead parades, the rebel spirit (and I don't mean that in a slavery way, I mean rebellion in general), that I feel like I'm living in the 70s--if I avoid the wrong places and visit the right ones, hidden pockets of amazing music, and on and on and on...

No comments: