20.4.08

10 Albums that Changed my Life*

1. Janis Joplin: Pearl (ninth grade)
2. John Coltrane: Impressions (20 yrs. old)
3. Cat Steven: Tea for the Tillerman (15)
4. Black Sabbath: Paranoid (22)
5. Money Jungle: Duke Ellington, Mingus, and Roach (20)
6. Ornette Coleman: Science Fiction (22)
7. Sonny Rollins: Freedom Suite (21)
8. Brian Jonestown Massacre: The Satanic Majesties' Second Request (always and forever)
9. Jolie Holland: Springtime Can Kill You (26)
10. Blackalicious: Nia (21)
Runner-Up: Grateful Dead: Workingman's Dead (17)


This list is not exactly complete. This list is not meant to be read as my 'favorite albums of all time.' These albums are landmarks in my life that I associate with a change in the way I think about music and a change in the way I perceive reality. It may have not been these albums that changed the way I 'perceive reality'; it just so happens that the change occured around the same time these albums were on my rotation. It's funny that these albums are mostly jazz and 60s music. This in no way reflects the spectrum of my musical tastes; however, it does reveal my kinship with rebellion, a search for meaning, and a good-ol'-fashion party!

1 comment:

djdiggla said...

Dang, you listen to some crap music! FLOL...just kidding of course! It's Dirk... Sweet blog! I can never figure out how to add favorites in blogger.. ...frustrating. I dig the #lists... good format IMO.

Mine is kinda half-assed mobile blog. Check it if u wanna.
http://kingdirk.blogspot.com/

PEACE
D